Tuesday, June 18, 2013

The Disability

I am a C2 incomplete quadriplegic that can"walk" with assistance, but my arms are really not that functional. I broke my neck while skim boarding at the beach in Hollywood, Florida on September 30, 2010. I was in the ICU for six months on a ventilator. That was the longest six months of my life because I barely got to see my three kids and I was constantly getting poked and prodded! My wife is my caregiver along with all the other hats that she wears. For those of you in the spinal cord community I have to cath twice a day and do the bowel program every night. I use an external catheter along with a leg bag for urine and take multiple pills for spasticity and tone. At the end of the day, I thank God that I'm alive and able to see my family every day.

After getting out of the hospital and getting more stable, it was time for a vacation!!! We went on a Walt Disney World trip in Orlando, Florida and had a lot of fun. My wife has always had dreams of traveling all over the world. After that Disney World trip, we would go to the west coast of Florida to Tampa and visit my sister. The beaches on the West Coast of Florida are very calm so I was able to get into the water with a beach chair that the lifeguards lent me. With these two trips under our belt, my wife decided it was time for a European cruise!! We will get into more detail with that to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment