Thursday, June 20, 2013

The Plane Ride From Dereks View

I must admit that I was really nervous about getting on the plane and putting my primary chair (and only chair) underneath the plane. The airline was very accommodating and even let me watch them load my chair into the cargo box. I made sure that I stressed how important that chair was to me and that I needed it to be in one piece when I got to my destination. We did not check the power wheelchair or my manual wheelchair at the front ticket counter. We checked them at the gate and that's why I was able to watch them load my power wheelchair.

I also read on the web somewhere before we left to write a sign in the language, of the country that you're going to, just explaining to them that this chair is your legs and to please be extremely careful. This was great advice and I definitely used it. I also took the Rojo cushion off and also took the head rest off.

Loading into the plane and onto the seat went really smooth. They used an aisle chair to get me onto my seat. I tried putting the Rojo cushion down on the airplane seat so that I could sit on it but it was too long and wouldn't work (be advised that if you do use the Rojo cushion take some air out of it as it will inflate when the cabin gets pressurized). The plane ride was nine hours and I just made sure to constantly rock back and forth and my wife would stand me up periodically just to relieve some pressure from my rear. Overall, it was not a horrible experience but it obviously was not the most comfortable thing in the world.

When we arrived to Rome. They brought me my personal mechanical wheelchair and when it came to me they broke the pad off of the armrest. This was not a huge deal but I was just hoping that my primary chair made the trip! Once we exited the plane we waited in the loading area for my power chair. It made it!! When I saw the chair coming up the terminal, I felt relieved and now I was ready to conquer Rome!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! That is GREAT that you are overcoming all obstacles to make "Dreams" come true! Since your accident I have read your Facebook post and now I noticed this blog!

    Dereck, you and your family are truly an inspiration. I can't wait to hear some more on our trip! Have FUN!! Keep it up! God Bless!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words. I just truly believe that God has huge plans for my family. Like you said we are overcoming so much and it's not because of our power, the power of Jesus in us! Thank you for reading

      Delete
  2. Derek i hope God blesses your family with love, bounty and happiness. My disability has stopped me from traveling in the past... I have Muscular Dystrophy. Similar functionality to a Quad. I practically live in my chair. Well I am challenging those beliefs of travelling, I want to travel to Manila Philippines this fall. I have some fears, mostly of losing my chair lol. If you could find the time to share i would like to ask you some questions. ron.bottass at gmail

    ReplyDelete